Skip to content

Moving In

May 5, 2012

I resist change. Hard.

I’ve moved my whole life – first as the daughter of a Lieutenant Colonel, now as the wife of a man pursuing the call of God from state to state. I loathe it every time. Once we unpack, I begin to note all the things I hate – the people are weird, the church is different, the Wal-Mart is all backwards, THE BARBECUE IS WRONG (vinegar, North Carolina? Really??), and my friends are not here. Eventually, I get used to the new and make new friends and find a place to belong. I know the hate will wear off as I loosen my grip on what I once knew and embrace the new.

I reserved this domain in November. Yes, seven months ago. I had been blogging in my old place for only 8 months, but it was home and I had faithful readers and I knew what I was to write about and how to write it. Though I felt boxed in, I clung to my old blog because I feared the unknown.

I need the change. I need less contriction on my writing.

You’ll find the same kind of stuff from My Offerings – evaluations of ideas we always assumed, Scripture taken out of context, book reviews, meditations on parenting, and critiques of the weird stuff going around. But you’ll also find some new things – stories, parables, and personal posts. I feel that I’m still fresh into the writing game – I’m young and I still have some of that college-research-paper-style left in me. So I want to try my hand at more varied writing to find my niche.

Let me know what you think of the changes.

Don’t forget to switch over your subscription by typing in your email address to the right. You will receive no more posts from the My Offerings page.

About these ads
24 Comments leave one →
  1. May 7, 2012 9:19 am

Congrats on the new place! Looks good! I really like the fountain pen in the picture. I have a couple of them but I always forget to use them and then the ink dries up.

• May 7, 2012 2:43 pm

I like the idea of fountain pens, but the first time one makes a scratching sound on paper, I’m so done.

2. May 7, 2012 9:29 am

I love the new picture at the top of this site! You look so mysterious. I’m going to read your stuff no matter where you post it, so I’m just glad you’re continuing to write!

• May 7, 2012 10:08 am

Bahaha…mysterious? You are cracking me up. Thanks for the encouragement, y’all. New post on Wednesday! I’m aiming for MWF posts. We’ll see. :)

3. Tim permalink
    May 7, 2012 10:00 am

Looking forward to the new venture here, Aubry. Love your writing!

Tim

4. Sara McDonald permalink
    May 7, 2012 10:31 am

added the new site to my RSS reader. looks amazing. :)

5. blogofshannon permalink
    May 7, 2012 10:33 am

Congrats, Aubry! I just want to say thanks for spelling out the pronunciation of the university you attended and I was saying it all wrong in my head. I can’t wait to read more of your mind!

• Shannon permalink
      May 7, 2012 10:35 am

um, that’s linked to an old wordpress account. It’s me, @shannontisdale. ;)

• May 7, 2012 2:41 pm

Haha, I figured it was you :) And yeah – I don’t think anyone outside of Arkansas could ever guess how to pronounce Ouachita!

6. Brittany G permalink
    May 7, 2012 10:55 am

I love it Aubry, and your head shot is great! It says, “I’m smart and sassy” in a great way. :)

• May 7, 2012 2:40 pm

Haha…I am getting a lot of people telling me I’m sassy lately, and it is cracking me up. :) Thanks!

7. May 7, 2012 1:30 pm

Love the new spot!

8. May 7, 2012 1:42 pm

WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree regarding vinegar. I moved from Texas to Kansas City. The change in barbecue is sweeter and less spicy.

• May 7, 2012 2:34 pm

YES. Texas BBQ is the best in the country, hands down. I lived in Ft. Leavenworth KS for awhile and…yeah…just not the same.

9. May 7, 2012 1:42 pm

I’m a big vigilance fan. Nice job with the transition.

And hey, is it possible to open up comments to those of us who don’t have a wordpress.com account? I see this on lots of blogs these days, and I can’t leave comments with my name and website URL. I think it’s under the discussion settings. Twitter is cool if that’s all you can offer.

• May 7, 2012 2:37 pm

Oh, thanks, Ed! I didn’t realize it was set to that. I’ll go figure that out now :)

10. Kellen permalink
    May 7, 2012 2:12 pm

Vinegar/Carolina style barbeque is the best. Get used to it.

• May 7, 2012 2:39 pm

No. No. No.
      1) There is no sauce. That is ALL wrong.
      2) There is a weird twang to it.
      3) THERE IS NO SAUCE.

This isn’t even a subjective thing where you get an opinion. It’s just fact. :)

11. Beth Smith permalink
    May 8, 2012 8:59 pm

Love your new site and happy to follow you here!! I always look forward to what you have to say. Go ahead and get on your soap-box. Your family is listening!!

12. Ashley permalink
    May 8, 2012 9:36 pm

Love your entrance onto this new site. As much as i’ve moved in my life i hate it too…seems i shoould be good at it by now…:)

13. May 9, 2012 12:37 pm

Congratulations on the move! I’m the same with moving – at first it feels all wrong but then I get comfortable and don’t want to move ever again…

And as a blogger I understand your need to ditch a title that you felt was restricting you. I’ve done a lot of shifting around and restructuring in my own blogging life, started with a kind of “everything” blog, then started to set up separate, more specific ones, then realised my anti-structure INFP personality just can’t cope with that long-term and set up a new “everything” blog.

Hope this works out well for you, and I’m looking forward to seeing how your blogging evolves.

Speak up!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,757 other followers